Wilson serves as the fifth dean of the University of Richmond School of Professional and Continuing Studies. She succeeds Dr. James L. Narduzzi, Dean Emeritus, who served for 21 years at the helm of the School.
Wilson earned a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in English and a Master of Teaching (M.T.) from the University of Virginia, a Master of Arts (M.A.) in English, Writing and Rhetoric from Virginia Commonwealth University, and a doctorate (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, also from the University of Virginia. She joins the esteemed group of “Cavalier Spiders” who share influences from both universities.
Prior to her appointment as dean, Wilson served as Superintendent of Schools for Hanover County, Virginia. Before being appointed as superintendent, Wilson worked in Hanover County Public Schools as a classroom teacher, a lead teacher, an assistant principal, a principal and an assistant superintendent.
Her involvement with the School of Professional and Continuing Studies started through her work on the governance board of Partners in the Arts, Richmond’s premier organization supporting and funding arts integration across the curriculum and a program of the School of Professional and Continuing Studies. Wilson also worked as an adjunct professor in the School’s Educational Leadership and Policy Studies graduate program.
Wilson brings to the School a focus on the stories and experiences of everyday working professionals and adult students earning degrees and certificates and working toward professional development and personal enrichment. She also brings her enthusiastic support for the Richmond area and a desire to see the University continue to serve the educational needs of the Richmond community.
Region 1 Superintendent of the Year
Strong Men and Women in Virginia History, Dominion and the Library of Virginia
Grand Marshal, Ashland 4th of July Parade
Outstanding Woman Award in Education, YWCA of Greater Richmond
Grand Marshal, Ashland Holiday Parade
Casey Extra Mile Award Recognition, Hanover County Public Schools
Nominee, YWCA Woman of the Year
Richmond Woman Business Woman of the Month
Nominee, Superintendent’s Business Advisory Council Excellence in Educational Leadership Award
Nominee, Lee-Davis High School Teacher of the Year
Nominee, Salie Mae First-Year Teacher of the Year, Hanover County Public Schools
Wilson, J. S. (2015, Spring). Perspectives on leadership [Panel]. Virginia Aspiring Special Education Leaders Academy. Panel member
Wilson, J. S. (2014, Fall). The changing face of assessment in our schools [Panel]. Virginia Association of Test Directors. Panel member
Wilson, J. S. (2014, Fall). [Keynote address]. Virginia Association of School Business Officials.
Wilson, J. S. (2014, June). [Panel]. Innovation in High Poverty Schools Summit. Panel member
Wilson, J. S. (2014, February). [Keynote address]. AdvancED Annual Conference.
Wilson, J. S. (2012, Spring). Women in leadership [Panel]. Women Educational Leaders in Virginia. Panel member
Wilson, J. S. (2012, Winter). A celebration of black women in history [Panel]. Richmond African American Forum. Panel member
- Chair, Region 1 Superintendent's Committee (2014-2016)
- Chair, Metropolitan Education Research Consortium (2014-2016)
- Chair, Board of Management, MathScience Innovation Center (2013-2015)
- Chair, AdvancED Accreditation Visit (E. C. Glass High School, 2009; Robert E. Lee High School, 2010)
- Chair, SACS-CASI District Accreditation Visit (Ludowici, Ga., 2008)
- Vice-Chair, SACS-CASI District Accreditation Visit (Spotsylvania County Public Schools, October 2008)
- Founding Chair, Region 1 Autism Education Consortium (2008-2010)
- Chair, Partners in the Arts Governance Board (2006-2009)
- Chair, Association Board of Directors of the Greater Richmond YMCA (2014-2016)
- Association Board of Directors of the Greater Richmond YMCA (2008-Present)
- Hanover Tavern Foundation Advisory Board (2009-Present)
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College Board (2008-2011)
- Central Virginia Food Ban/FeedMore (2007-2009)
- Leadership Metro Richmond (Class of 2008)
- Virginia Biomedical Research Park, Kitchen Cabinet Advisory Committee (2007-2008)
- Patrick Henry YMVA Board of Management (2003-2004)
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Upsilon Omega Chapter
- St. Paul’s Baptist Church
Cassada, K. M., Stevens, C. J., & Wilson, J. S. (2005, Summer). Aligning school improvement: From goal-setting to classroom application. Educational Leadership, 62.
Wilson, J. S. (2000). [Review of the book Reforming American education from the bottom to the top, ed. E. Clinchy]. American School Board Journal, 187(5).
English, Writing and Rhetoric
Secondary English Education
Educational Leadership and Policy Studies